|Position: Director, Business Development
|Country: United States||Province/State: Virginia
|Employment Type: Office Based||Posted Date: 1/31/2020
Nathan is a leading provider of analytic and economic consultancy services worldwide. In the past decade, we have implemented more than 120 projects in more than 50 countries leveraging our global presence in Washington DC, London, and India. From improved transparency and deeper stakeholder engagement to more effective policies and more resilient businesses, we deliver results that impact economic growth, human development, and poverty reduction. We are passionate about applying our deep analytical expertise and advanced proprietary tools to generate economic solutions tailored to our clients’ unique challenges. Nathan focuses on a range of economic development subject matter areas including Trade & Logistics; Economic Policy & Governance; Private Sector Development; Women’s Economic Empowerment; and Financial Solutions.
Nathan is seeking a Director, Business Development for its International Development (ID) and Infrastructure, Project Development, and Finance (Infrastructure) Business Lines to lead and coordinate business development efforts across each of our four technical groups. The Director will develop new business intelligence, manage the BD pipeline, ensure resources are allocated efficiently, participate in go/no-go decisions, and ensure complaint, competitive and winning bids are submitted. The Director will collaborate internally across the business line, with the SVP and Group VPs, as well as externally with clients and partners and is the day-to-day leader on BD for ID and Infrastructure.
Strategic Planning, Pipeline Development, and Maintenance
- Develop and maintain the ID and Infrastructure business development pipeline;
- Contribute to bid/no-bid decision making process and convene weekly BD meeting(s);
- Maintain corporate reporting on business development efforts, including tracking and capture efficiency and win/loss record;
- Contribute to ID and Infrastructure strategic planning discussions;
- Maintain and refine BD processes and procedures to ensure efficiency and cost-effective BD development;
- Identify new programming trends in international development and develop concrete, time-bound action plans to strategically position Nathan for new opportunities;
- Collaborate with the SVP and each of the Group VPs to plan and execute Nathan’s BD strategy and to ensure the consistent delivery of competitive and winnings bids;
- Proactively identify new business opportunities in Nathan’s core technical areas, including programs funded by USAID, USTDA, MCC, State, World Bank, IDB, etc.;
- Stay current on procurement reforms and changing trends within USAID and other key clients;
- Represent Nathan at industry, client and partner events;
- Develop and expand international, regional and local teaming relationships with current and potential partners;
- Expand partnerships with US small businesses and develop SB contracting plans; and
- Coordinate with London and India offices on One Nathan priority proposals.
- Guide and support Group VPs and Practice Leads on proposal strategy and execution;
- Directly support qualifying, capture, and “live” proposal efforts;
- Ensure compliance with RFP terms and conditions and that competitive and winning proposals are prepared and submitted cost-effectively and in accordance with BD processes;
- Write management, personnel, and other technical proposal sections as necessary;
- Participate in the preparation of oral presentations as necessary;
- Assist the Recruiting Department in identifying key personnel and other short- and long-term consultants;
- Advise and facilitate competitive pricing and budget development;
- Chair client de-briefings and After-Acton Reviews with proposal teams to identify what went well and what needs improvement;
- Analyze and integrate lessons learned from debriefings on bid wins and losses;
- Conduct specific trainings for Nathan staff on proposal development best practices; and
- Supervise the BD team and BD consultants.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience in business development with direct USAID market expertise. Experience with other US government agencies and international donors, preferred.
- Successful track record of leading and winning USAID and other donor-funded proposals.
- Experience leading a BD team, preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership, decision-making, teambuilding, and management skills.
- Strong writing and communication capabilities.
- Excellent writing skills.
- MBA, M.A., or M.S. degree in relevant field, preferred.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States