|Position: Consultant Project Manager
|Country: UK||City: London
Nathan Associates is a leading international development consultancy firm headquartered in Washington DC. Founded in 1946, the company uses economic principles and data to guide policies and operations in a way that improves people's lives. Our employees are motivated by the belief that we can make a difference and over the years the company has expanded its services and geographical reach while remaining small enough to personally ensure the quality of its work. We currently have offices in the United States (Washington DC, California), United Kingdom (London) and India (Delhi, Chennai).
Nathan Associates provides services in five areas:
- Trade and logistics: Nathan advises public and private sector clients on trade negotiations, harmonising trade policies to promote economic integration, modernising customs procedures, reduction of tariff barriers and regulations that reduces the cost of trade, as well as help to improve trade facilitation and trade corridor efficiency.
- Private sector development: Nathan designs, implements and evaluates pro-poor, inclusive market systems strategies and programs, supports global value chains and links exporters to new markets. Through challenge funds and grants, we foster private sector innovation and catalyse private investment. Nathan also supports investment and export promotion agencies and designs initiatives to advance women’s economic empowerment.
- Financial sector development: Nathan uses a systemic approach to understand and work on financial systems to overcome the challenges the poor face in achieving financial literacy and inclusion and businesses, particularly SMEs, face in accessing finance.
- Economic policy and governance: Nathan’s services in economic policy and governance include macroeconomic analysis; budget preparation, execution and evaluation; legal/regulatory reform and anticorruption.
- Infrastructure planning and finance: Nathan provides services in economic analysis and environmental impact assessments, competitive and regulatory environment analysis, developing master plans and feasibility studies and financial analysis including structuring PPP transactions.
The London office
Our London-based office is internationally recognised for developing innovative ways of engaging the private sector in the development agenda and achieving pro-poor outcomes. We specialise in the design, implementation and monitoring of projects and policies all around the world in private sector development (PSD)-related areas: promoting entrepreneurship, developing business linkages, strengthening agricultural value chains, attracting investment, supporting investment climate reforms, deepening trade, and encouraging financial inclusion. Besides PSD, the office also leads a financial sector development practice, and is developing its capabilities in the trade & logistics and economic policy & governance practice.
Nathan Associates London Ltd (Nathan) is looking for an experienced Programme Manager with a proven track record of successfully delivering programmes in the development sector, and ideally with experience in one of Nathan’s technical areas. The Consultant will be based in our London office, and while primarily focussed on programme management, the role will also work as a part of Nathan’s team to develop new business and provide technical support aligned with Nathan’s areas of expertise, ensuring that assignments are delivered on time, within budget, and to high quality standards.
Vacancy type: Permanent position
Location: London office, with international travel
Service area: Operations
Expected start date: December 2020
- Management of projects under the guidance of the assigned Project Director
- Assist and/or lead on client engagement as requested
- Ensure all aspects of the client contract are being met
- Effective planning of all project activities to ensure projects are delivered on time and within budget
- Develop and/or adapt manuals, procedures and templates required for project delivery, and ensure effective knowledge management practices are in place
- Ensure that projects meet high quality technical standards
- Ensure that all deliverables and reports are on time, and support with preparation and editing as required
- Identify, contract and performance manage project staff, consultants and sub-contractors
- Identify and manage risk, and work closely with the compliance function to ensure all compliance requirements have been met
- Support on or lead on financial management, including budgeting, approval and monitoring of resources, forecasting, and client invoicing in collaboration with finance function
- Provide operational and backstopping support to project teams
- Provide technical inputs into Nathan’s portfolio of projects and programmes when required
- Engage in Nathan’s work to develop innovative approaches and contribute to enhancing Nathan’s reputation as a “thought leader” in these areas
- Actively network with clients and partners to gather business intelligence and identify new business opportunities
- Collaborate in the identification of potential consultants for assignments
- Manage the preparation of expressions of interest and tenders
- Contribute to technical or management sections of tenders
- Undertake business development scoping trips
Essential Experience, Qualifications and Skills
- A university degree in Economic Development, International Development or a related field
- At least 5 years of progressive experience in programme management of international development/donor funded projects
- A good understanding of the role of the private sector in development
- Experience or demonstrable interest of working in developing countries including in Africa and/or Asia
- Demonstrable financial management skills
- Excellent report writing skills, including both technical and financial reporting
- Demonstrable team and people management skills, including with geographically dispersed teams
- Outstanding English written and oral communication skills
- Excellent IT skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project and Visio
- Willingness to regularly travel to fragile contexts for up to three months at a time
Desired Experience, Qualifications and Skills
- Experience in Nathan London’s technical areas would be an advantage
- Capacity to build and manage a portfolio of work in business development, project management and technical delivery
- Experience in working on technical proposals with a winning track record
- Demonstrable experience in managing and introducing operational processes to development programmes, such as conducting work planning workshops, technical trainings and/or knowledge sharing sessions
- Experience implementing programmes funded by FCDO and/or World Bank
- Experience of working in Zambia would be preferred
Please submit your full CV, a 2-page cover letter explaining why you are interested in the role and how your experience, skills and qualifications meet the all of the outlined specifications above to email@example.com by 06 November 2020.