|Position: Managing Associate, Women's Economic Empowerment & Private Sector Development
|Country: United States||Province/State: Virginia
|Posted Date: 4/23/2021||
Nathan Associates is seeking a Managing Associates to support the Economic Engagement and Private Sector Development and gender and social inclusion practices within our International Development team in Arlington, Virginia. The Managing Associate will contribute to a portfolio of gender and economic engagement activities, manage new business development, and provide technical assistance related to gender integration and women’s economic empowerment. The Managing Associate will also provide oversight to USAID prime and sub-contracts, undertake technical support activities for a range of Nathan programs including the US Support for Economic Growth in Asia (US-SEGA) contract, valued at approximately $34 million. The Managing Associate will also be expected to direct business development efforts for USAID and other US and international clients.
This position will require international travel. A relevant advanced degree is strongly preferred and significant, progressively responsible experience managing and providing technical assistance on donor-funded projects designed to enhance economic growth through improving trade and competitiveness, business enabling environments, gender and social inclusion and broader economic growth.
Applicants must be self-directed and demonstrate an aptitude to work in a team environment, both as a leader and team player, and possess excellent project management, business development, proposal writing, and client management skills.
Nathan is a private international economic and analytics consulting firm that works with government and commercial clients around the globe to deliver practical solutions and achieve lasting results. Whether building frameworks for economic growth or navigating regulatory hurdles, securing infrastructure financing or evaluating and assessing disputes, Nathan’s experts serve as trusted partners, offering clients the analysis, technical advice, and strategies they need for sound decision-making. Known for both technical and service excellence, Nathan has corporate offices in the US, UK, and India and more than 25 program offices around the world.
The Managing Associate will report to the Vice President of Economic Engagement and Private Sector Development.
- Undertake research and analysis and prepare reports for clients (requiring little or no editing by more senior staff);
- Oversee technical activities and workstreams on various contracts;
- Make presentations to clients and to staff on technical subjects including women’s economic empowerment;
- Identify and lead business development opportunities across donor and private sector clients for gender and social inclusion-focused activities and projects
- Develop and manage partnerships for the implementation of Nathan’s gender and private sector development programming
- Provide direct technical assistance, such as gender assessments; design and presentation of training on gender integration and related topics; research and capacity-building activities on gender topics; etc.
- Review and provide input to project workplans, with attention to gender dimensions of technical activities and operations
- Incorporate gender considerations into Performance Monitoring Plans across Nathan projects, with an emphasis on designing indicators that will drive high-value project activities
- Write reports and other internal deliverables as needed.
- Lead and participate in business development activities, including proposal preparation;
- Market to USAID, World Bank, and other donors; gather information on upcoming bid solicitations through travel to the region and building professional networks.
- Develop business plans and lead efforts to target new clients, including private sector, and new areas for the firm; and
- Serve as Project Director for long and short term donor projects;
- Manage complex projects (for clients or for internal purposes), including technical direction, staffing, contractual/subcontract oversight, budgeting, monitoring of progress, review/revision of final products;
- Prepare terms of reference for technical assistance activities for designated projects, including initiation of concept, technical design, and staffing;
- Train/oversee work of Associates, Research Associates, and Program Assistants; and
- Perform on an as-needed basis other assigned Project Management functions.
- Seven to ten years of experience working in economic growth programming with a focus on gender and international development.
- Experience working with USAID, governments, and donor agencies.
- Demonstrated experience working with a range of clients and counterparts, including donor agencies, private sector partners, and multilateral organizations, to implement gender-focused activities and programming.
- Ability to organize, present, and disseminate information, and to draft clear and concise documents with minimal supervision.
- Strong negotiation and communication skills and effective report-writing skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel to international environments to complete program assignments.
- Master’s Degree in international development, gender studies, development economics, international affairs, or a related field, with a focus on gender preferred;
- Fluency in English required. Spanish or French a plus.